I started running at the age of 22, back in Germany with the goal of finishing a marathon. I did so and after just 3 months of running posting a time of 2:56. After this I got recruited to join my hometown’s running club. I ran almost anything from 800m to half marathon over the next few years. [+]
In 1997, I moved to the United States and continued my running of mostly 10k and half marathons. In 2001 I stopped running, due to lack of motivation. Four years later in 2005, I heard about the Tahoe Triple, (three marathons in three days), and decided to try this crazy race. I won the race setting a new course record. I ran the Triple again in 2006 (3Days/3Marathons 8:43:19) and at the end of that year decided to give Ultra races a try. I ran my first Ultra in 2007, the Jed Smith 50k (3:12:32). In 2007 I also got the honor to represent my home country of Germany at the IAU Ultra Trail World Challenge, I was a member of the German National Team again in 2009 at the Trail World Challenge in France.
Since then I have ran many Ultra races up to the 100 mile distance (Results at Ultrasignup.com) and was instrumental in the founding of the SLO Trail Runners trail running club in my home town of San Luis Obispo, California.
Outside of Ultra running I am Creative Director at Kraftwerk Design, a high end design and branding agency with focus on the wine industry. I live in beautiful San Luis Obispo on the Central Coast of California with my wonderful wife and 2 boys (ages 12 & 14). [-]
- February: Sean O Brien 100k
- April: Lake Sonoma 50 mile
- April/May: Nepal Hiking Adventure
- June: Zugspitze Ultra (in Germany)
- July: High Sierra Trail Hike
- August: High Sierra Trail Adventure Run
- 800m 1:58:2 (Track, 1995)
- 5,000m 15:26 (Track, 1996)
- 10,000m 31:51 (Track, 1996)
- Halfmarathon 1:09:10 (Road, 1998)
- Marathon 2:32:18 (Road, 1998)
- 50km 3:12:32 (Road, 2007)
- 50 mile 5:56:17 (Road, 2007)
- 3Days/3Marathons 8:43:19 (Road, Altitude, 2006)
- Course Record Tahoe Rimtrail 50 Mile
7:52:09 (Trail, Altitude, 2008)
- 2011 RRCA National Champion Masters 100 MIle Trail
20:58 (Trail, Altitude, 2011)
- 2x Member German National Team
Last month I took part in a series of interviews to advice runners on Ultra Marathons. The series is now live on NordicTrack's blog!
You can view Part 1, Part 2, and Part 3 here.